Yesterday was Madeleine’s 1 year birthday!!! A whole year has passed since my little angel was born. Incredible.
I made sure she didn’t have any doctor’s appointments for her birthday and we had a fun day! First we went on a little shopping trip and took lunch to her daddy. Then it was nap time and I got started on preparing dinner for later. After she woke up, we had our little photo session and went for a walk to the park for some more photos. I am still sorting through all of those, but will post some of them later in this post. I want to edit them though, so those edited versions will have to come later. She had eggplant Parmesan for dinner and apple pie for dessert, but she was so tired she didn’t want any pie. She even opened a couple of presents and then it was time for bed, since daddy got home late from work.
We have her 12 month check-up with Dr. George (her primary care provider) next week. She won’t be getting any immunizations, but it’ll be good for him to see how well she’s doing.
What has happened this month?
- It’s been about a month since she started re-gaining movement and she has made fantastic progress. She is sitting in a much more stable way than she had been. She is turning to the side to grab toys, bending over her leg from a sitting position to get on her tummy. Army crawling, but we are working on getting her up on her hands and knees.
- I have ordered her this table, per the physical therapist’s recommendation. It will help her with her balance, pulling up, standing, kneeling, and all of that, which will eventually help her learn to walk, stand unassisted, etc. 😀
- Aside from all of the medical progress, the most exciting, greatest, sweetest, most fun thing that happened this month is that she has learned to give hugs and kisses. 😀 In fact, she gives me a hug and a kiss when she wakes up from her nap, and I don’t even have to ask. She just does it. It is so darned sweet. I love it!
- She currently has 3 teeth and is still working on 4, 5 and 6. I swear, this child teethes forever!! Some days she is more fussy about it than others. I hope they pop through soon.
- Madeleine is allowed to use the exersaucer again to encourage her to stand and get her legs under her. She loves this! She thinks the exersaucer is the greatest thing ever, and spins around to all of the toys. Thanks to Jo for allowing us to borrow hers for so long!
- As for feeding, she can be quite the picky eater. I have tried lots of new foods with her this month, but most of them she wants absolutely nothing to do with. Some things she hates? Scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, roast beef (yesterday), cake (at her birthday party), she used to love them, but now hates bananas and I’m blanking on others. Some thing she loved? Mushroom broccoli egg noodle casserole. Eggplant Parmesan, green beans, squash, mashed potatoes, avocado, tomato, etc.
- She has started going for regular walks with me again. 🙂 She loves them and also loves to swing! We walk around the neighborhood and to our neighborhood park to swing. She giggles a ton, she loves it so much.
- She has also started “helping” when we go shopping. Her little arms reach out of the ergo carrier and try to grab at everything. LOL! So cute.
- My mom came to visit this month as well. We had her birthday party a couple of weeks early so my mom could be here and all of her family made it! Even some family friends, and she had a blast. She was the center of attention and simply adored it!! The goal was to keep this party simple, and next year we can do a big blow-out with all of our/her friends and she’ll know better what’s going on. I’ll do another post about her party with lots of photos.
- Her sleep has been a billion times better!! Most nights she only has one wake-up. Far, far better than being up every hour or two.
- Words she’s got down? “Hiiii” “yes” “mama” “dada” and occasionally “ditdee or gi-gee” for kitty.
- She officially dances now. And by dances, I mean, she bops her head. 🙂 Whenever there’s music she bobs her head to the beat and if she’s on someone’s lap, she rocks back and forth while bopping her head. You can see that here! and here she is bopping her head.
- Of course her books are still a hugely favorite toy, but for her birthday she received several more advanced toys that sing songs and make noise and have interactive parts. We have been working with those, and she is quite entertained.
- Her cheeks are slowly shrinking back down to be more like how her cheeks should be. 🙂 I am happy that she looks more like my baby girl again.
- She is in to everything now! Shoes, the PSP controller, my diaper bag by the door, the cord that plugs the lamp into the wall. You know, basically a normal 1 year old. 😀
- Her daddy has switched to a day shift at work so we can finally have some normal family time with him. This is great! She loves and adores her daddy. She absolutely lights up when she sees him, so I am very happy about this latest development, and so is she. She used to say “Dadada” over and over again if she hadn’t seen him for a day or two, but now she seems much more content with her daddy time.
That’s pretty much it for this month! Here are some photos! I will have to do a collage of all of her 1 month portraits. 🙂 I am still bummed I’m missing her 9 month portrait, but I think there’s pretty good reason for that one missing.
Happy first birthday, sweet girl! You are our little miracle child!