Here is Madeleine’s 3 year birthday post!!! I am always so shocked by how quickly she grows and how quickly these big milestones arrive. Three. I still can’t quite wrap my mind around the idea that my little baby girl is 3.
You might remember this post announcing Madeleine’s birth. The many different things that we’ve gone through since she entered our lives is simply remarkable. 🙂 In one way, the 3 years absolutely flew by. In another, I cannot believe that the tiny baby in those other photos is the same girl that I see before me today. We, as a family, have been through so much – it is so rewarding to come out on the other end and see how amazingly she is growing and becoming her own person. Although, she had very strong opinions from the day she was born, the opinions have become even more emphatic now as she has become even more verbal.
I don’t have a size update that’s any more current than last month for her MRI visit at the hospital. She is just shy of 32 lbs (according to our home scale) and last month she was about 3 feet tall. I am taking her to the doctor on the 23rd, so should have an update after that!
Things we’ve done this year:
- Switched her from her old daycare to her new school, which she is really enjoying!
- Upgraded to a “big girl bed”.
- Our first big family trip to Hawaii – it was a first for Alex, too. I still need to post about this, at some point.
- She learned to ride a bike with training wheels.
- We are officially completely potty trained!! Is there still an accident on occasion? Sure. But about 98% of the time, she makes it to the toilet.
- We had our first trip to Canada! Her first ever border crossing.
- Her vocabulary has exploded and the things that come out of her mouth take us by surprise on a daily basis – in a good way
- She is running around like crazy. Jumping off of things, climbing things, dancing, singing and living life to the fullest!
- She had her first hair cut about 6 weeks ago to even it out. With the chemo, it all grew in at exactly the same length. It seems like that’d work well, but it was a lot shorter in front and then got much longer in back.
- She has learned to swim and absolutely adores jumping off the ledge at the pool.
- She is recognizing people, remembering them even if she hasn’t seen them in a while and knows who they are.
- We have moved from “kiddie” toys to more big girl toys. She loves to “write” in her composition book, put puzzles together, play dress up, play with make-up, do art projects, help cook, take care of baby dolls, etc. She even brings the kitty toys to the kitty so she can play with it.
- Pretend play is in full swing. We have an extra kitty around the house about 30% of the time. 🙂
- She likes to help clean up, brush her own teeth, wash her own body and put on her own clothes. She is very independent and strong willed.
- We’ve reached temper tantrums. They are not like the typical tantrums, however. When she is upset with what she has been told, she literally flings herself onto the floor onto her tummy, folds her hands together and buries her head on them while saying something like “I don’t want to take a nap!” LOL! Alex and I often find ourselves trying to not laugh because it is really pretty cute and funny.
- She’s made new friends at her new school and is a very sweet girl to her friends.
- In about a week she will start transitioning to her new classroom! Crazy!! Her new classroom will be a preschool room. She tells us that she’s going to go to preschool with all of the big kids. That’s right!! She’s officially going to be a big kid. I am both proud and sad at the same time.
- Started going to movies at the theater. We’ve been a couple of times with her and she thinks it is super fun.
I’m sure there is more that has gone on this year, but I honestly cannot remember it all and I have been awful about blogging so I don’t have it documented.
As has been the case for the last couple of years, Madeleine just keeps stretching out longer and slimming down like a bigger kid. She looks more grown up all of the time. With as active as she is, it’s no big surprise.
So, I’ll get to posting the rest of the photos now. She’s had a great year and I am so proud to be her mama. I do my best to tell her that often, and now she said “you proud of me, mama??” 😀
Outtakes from the photo shoot earlier today: